A single speaker would not be able to reproduce all frequencies containing music, with a minimum of quality and realism. So the idea is to have several “ways” that is, various types of speakers, specialized in each frequency range so that everything does their part. It is often connected to the best double-din stereo
- Tweeter: small speaker, designed to reproduce high-pitched sounds.
- Woofer: speaker larger diameter, designed to reproduce midrange and bass sounds.
- Subwoofer: speaker large diameter subwoofer for reproducing sounds.
When we buy speakers we usually find in the store, with the choice between the following two types of sets of speakers:
- The speakers are coaxial speakers two or more pathways, concentrically placed in the same physical speaker.
- Typically a woofer and a tweeter in the case of a two-way coaxial.
Separate pathways, where the tweeter and woofer speakers are physically separated. They are designed to a higher sound quality, allowing us to install the closer to ear height tweeter to improve the perception of high frequency sounds and recreation of the scene and sonic depth. Also, typically, the separate tracks include a filter, which helps to separate and improve the specialization of each of the two speakers, and working more accurately and unique in its frequency range.
Who has not heard of, or even has not had its subwoofer? Famous for not miss, for example, any installation tuning that price, the subwoofer is commonly the speaker chosen by novice fans, like the first, and sometimes only, enhanced audio equipment, because of the great sensations produced in us the impact of the subwoofer sounds.
But we must not forget that if you really want is a reproduction quality, only better standard equipment by adding a subwoofer (with its corresponding amplifier), will give an unbalanced sound without improving the overall quality nor the power of music reproducing the other speakers of our vehicle.
The subwoofer is a speaker of large diameter, which specializes in playing bass and subwoofer. And inevitably, you need amplification. You can not connect directly to the output of a CD Radio.
When choosing a subwoofer, we must assess the following aspects:
- RMS power supports.
- Impedance, typically 4 or 2 ohms.
- Enclosure or box recommended by the manufacturer.
The latter is a very important feature for a subwoofer. And, depending on the type of enclosure or box in which we install, we have different advantages and disadvantages. The most popular venues are:
- Free air: is to place the subwoofer in the rear passenger compartment tray without such proper box. The advantage is that it takes away space with a box itself. The downside is that, at high volumes, cone movement goes haywire, giving a diffuse sound, and can even break if we carefully. For quality facilities, usually the least desirable option.
- Sealed box: This installs the speaker in a sealed box with the volume recommended by the manufacturer. The advantage is that the sound is more hi-fi, high quality, precise and controlled. The downside is that their sound tends to be shallower than the other options unless we leave really big boxes.
- Reflex Bass box: This is a box with a vent specifically calculated to strengthen the response of the more severe end. The advantage is that the sound is deeper, and needs less power to sound strong. The downside is that their sound is not as precise as that of a sealed box.
Other elements, expert level …
Apart from what has been said so far, there are more aspects to know and to consider if you are looking at a facility to detail and the highest quality.
- Soundproofing vehicle. It provides surprising results when looking for a good reproduction of bass sounds and media, eliminating some of the resonances in the passenger compartment. It is usually done by applying layers of roofing felt, inside the gates mainly and are sold as a product specifically for car audio.
- Battery. When we are talking about systems and a certain power, the battery is an element to consider. Not only because, if poor quality, will be subjected to extra wear and audio equipment, but because, if improved, will prevent micro-momentary voltage drops that can ultimately affect the fidelity of reproduction.
- Wirings. In this sense, there is much myth and legend, not wasted some manufacturers to sell their products as a differentiator installation. But far from reality, speaker wiring and RCAs quality construction, and double or triple shielding in the case of RCAs will be sufficient for a quality installation.
I hope this introduction has been interesting. Hopefully, you have also aroused curiosity about the car audio to anyone who enjoys music in their daily lives, and ever has been raised to improve the experience of listening; during such an everyday act of moving in our cars.
Soon we will see what steps we can take to try to address fully this goal, some concrete recommendations as well as tips and techniques that can be more than interesting.